Friday, March 5, 2010

Movies, Mystery, and Music



I shall now continue on about "War," by Luigi Pirandello. But I must say, I love the post I am about to write because I get to connect this to something I have enjoyed in the past...not that I don't enjoy doing social studies, ahem, of course not...ahem! There is a certain mood and idea set in this story. The first connection I am about to make is quite concrete, it's "right there!" No one can miss it. MYSTERY. We all love it, don't we? The suspense, the murders...the unsuspected murder--ER!! An who better to write great mysteries than Agatha Christie?? I don't know one person who has not heard of her. I personally LOVE her books. Each one has some original plot and ending...not just "man dies, man is found, murderer is found, murderer is punished." During the entire time in the story "War," the fat traveler puts an invisible fog around the train that causes parents to see the upside of war. He causes himself to think that his son should not be grieved. But at the very end, everyone gets hit with the shocker...the traveler himself cries, bawls, and fusses over his son's death. This is similar to And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie. During the entire trip at the house, all the travelers either think they're safe or the murderer is just someone not affiliated with them. Too bad until the end when the only one remaining heroine figures out the murderer was one of them. It's a shocker that no one could think of. Really, though, any mystery can be connected to "War." They all have that shocker at the end that causes our minds to go back to all the past events. It's just natural.


Another thing that sets this idea of the primary source is what every teen watches on T.V. DRAMA! It has the same effect as Agatha Christie's mysteries. In every drama tv series, there is the shocker at the end that has us want to keep watching. I myself am an addict to this. In Grey's Anatomy, there is always some patient or main character that has some secret. For example, Izzie had Stage 5 Metastatic Melanoma! Like...what the heck??? In Gossip Girl, another secret is held until the last minute...actually, many secrets. It's GOSSIP GIRL! Anyway, all of these dramas and soap operas do exactly what "War" did. Both of these have some mild problems during most of the "time slot" and at the very last minute, something is unleashed that is unexpected. Even the music in this shows is dramatic. That's just how T.V. works....and I guess Luigi Pirandello.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings-
    I hope this message finds you well. I think that you have really captured the essence of blogging with the posts featured. There is an individualized sense of voice, the writing for an audience, and the ability to find a way to link the primary source with your own artistic beliefs. I think that this forum is seen in a very strong manner as you forge personal connections between the work and your own preferences. I especially like the idea that it seems like you are inviting others to share with you in your passion for Pirandello.
    Great job and cannot wait for you to continue this!

    ReplyDelete